One of the most common emails we get here at Cogmap Intergalactice Headquarters is that printing huge charts is bad, putting charts in a powerpoint is bad, and doing anything other than playing with them inside Cogmap is bad.
While nothing is better than playing with them inside Cogmap, we have found some solutions! The printing problem, interestingly, is not actually a Cogmap problem. We actually have a fairly nice print.css that renders charts nicely for printers. Unfortunately, web browsers do a terrible, terrible job of printing web pages that are very, very, very wide and they all basically explode trying to print things like Cogmap charts.
Here is what we have found works pretty well:
- Install Screengrab in your firefox browser: http://screengrab.org/
- Go to the chart you want to print or put in a powerpoint
- Zoom to large (this makes the chart show titles)
- Press the Esc key (this makes the chart go full-screen in your browser)
- Use Screengrab to capture the complete page
Now you have a giant image of the entire org chart. You can compress this into a powerpoint slide or use how you see fit. Good luck!
Feel free to post more printing tricks in the comments below.